Monday, July 8, 2013

Pope Francis - his first encyclical - The Light of Faith



My nephew Michael and niece Theresa both said we should read the first encyclical of Pope Francis.  I began reading and just after getting to chapter two I read this statement over and over and over:

"Only to the extent that love is grounded in truth can it endure over time, can it transcend the passing moment and be sufficiently solid to sustain a shared journey."

I was compelled to stop reading and write to Pope Francis.  I never wrote a Pope before!  I wanted to tell him about Michael.  After writing my letter, I went back to reading the rest of the encyclical.  I am glad I did.

I was moved many times during the reading.  The role of parents and Godparents in a child's life.  (I am Michael's Godmother). The role of our Blessed Mother in our lives.  How growing closer to the pain of others, like Mother Theresa did, brings about clarity.  The closeness of marriage and how it mirrors faith.

This encyclical was started by Pope Benedict to commemorate the Year of Faith.  It was part of a trilogy of encyclicals he had been writing on the three virtues of faith, hope, and charity.  Pope Francis decided to finish the third.

If you would like to read the encyclical you can find it here.

No comments: