Tuesday, July 23, 2013

MMmmm...... Unexpected Goodness

 Oh Yum!  Honey Custard Rhubarb Pie

My friend, Clarence, called to ask if I wanted some Rhubarb.  Mrs. Lum's garden has lots of rhubarb! I was very happy to take some off his hands!
So yesterday I baked my favorite pie, Honey Custard Rhubarb Pie. When the kids were little I went through a whole "healthy" cooking stint.  This is the ONLY recipe that survived that period!
It is so easy to make - I made three pies and took one over to Clarence.  He said it wasn't necessary - but yes it is.  If someone is kind enough to give you enough fruit to make three pies then one of them better go back to say thank you! (Besides I shamelessly stole his picture of my pie of his website!)
Here is the recipe:
Preheat the oven to 425.
1  -   9" pie crust for a deep dish pie
3 cups rhubarb cut into 1/2 inch pieces
Boiling water
3 egg yolks, beaten
3 egg whites, beaten
2/3 cup warmed honey
3-5 TBS flour
Pinch of salt
1 TBS butter
Put cut rhubarb in a deep bowl.  Cover with boiling water then cover the bowl.  Let sit for 20 minutes. 
While waiting for the rhubarb, beat the egg whites.
Drain the water off the rhubarb
Add the warmed honey, egg yolks, salt and flour.
Mix well.
Gently fold in the egg whites
Dot the top with small pieces of the butter.
Bake for 10 minutes at 425
Bake for 30 additional minutes at 350
This pie should be refrigerated after cooled.

No comments: