Thursday, September 26, 2019

National Pancake Day!

Today is National Pancake Day - YUM!





After my Grandma Shea died I took her cookbooks and hand written recipes home. I was 18 and a senior in high school; I put them in a box and forgot them. When my Mom moved to an apartment I found them. At that time,1975, I was a new mom with time to look through the box. I was pleasantly surprised to find that my Grandma had written notes by many of the recipes. Most were "good" a few were "not good" but some were "very good."

This recipe is inspired by one of her "very good" notations. It was called French Pancakes. The eggs are separated and the whites are beaten with a mixer until peaks form. After mixing the rest of the ingredients the egg whites are gently folded into the batter. This causes tiny air bubbles to create light and fluffy pancakes that melt in your mouth.

I added different ingredients until the flavors were scrumptious and there was enough batter to make pancakes for both my husband and me. It was also important to keep the points as low as possible.


French Berry Pancakes aka Berry Cloud Pancakes
Preheat griddle sprayed with Pam

2 eggs, separated - whites beaten to peaks
Yolks in separate bowl

Add to the yolks:
1 banana
Lots of Cinnamon
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/4 cup Kodiak Pancake mix



Separate egg yolks and egg whites. Mix whites on high until peaks form.

By hand gently fold the egg whites into the batter. Do not over mix.

Spray a hot griddle with Pam.



Spoon batter onto griddle and if you want berries add to each pancake after they are on the griddle. It doesn't take them long to brown, so work quickly. Then flip the pancakes. Push any of the batter or berries back into each pancake.

Hint for flipping: I use two metal spatulas. One under the pancake and one at the back edge of the pancake making a 90° angle with the griddle.

Cover loosely with foil.


We love Al Fresco Chicken Bacon. Sprinkle a paper towel lightly with water. Put 2 pieces on the towel, fold over, 2 more, fold over, 2 more, fold over, last one, fold over. Microwave for 20 seconds.

Wash dishes. (My scientific method of perfect timing.)

Plate and eat - a scrumptious 2 pt breakfast and an extra bonus is that I never get hungry after eating this.

My favorite breakfast... Enjoy.



No comments: