Thursday, January 17, 2013

Chicken Vegetable Soup with Dumplings



Necessity is the mother of invention.  I wanted to make chicken and dumplings for dinner. I found a great recipe on Pinterest and started getting the ingedients together.

To see pictures on how to make the dumplings go to the Tasty Kitchen

I had cooked chicken breasts thawing. I made the dumplings according to the recipe. Then proceeded to make the soup. I only had 32 oz (a box) of chicken broth!  I needed two! Let me digress here a bit. I did have three boxes but it was the second Sunday of the month and I put two in the bag to donate to the food pantry last Sunday.

So I added mixed blend Green Giant frozen steamers to the broth. After they thawed I put them in the food processor and blended them into a puree. I also added some leftover Chardonnay. Then I added the dumplings. Added the chicken. And YUM, DELICIOUS.

Dumplings
2 cups flour
1/2 tsp baking powder
Pinch salt
2 Tbs butter
Blend in food processor
Add 1 3/4 cup of milk while processing
Add a little more if needed until it forms a ball

Roll out onto the counter with lots if flour. They should be rolled thin. Cut into two inch squares. Put them on a well floured plate making layers with flour sprinkled in between each layer.

Soup
1 32 oz box chucken broth
2 11 oz pkgs Green Giant Market Blend steamers
1 Tbs Mrs. Dash
2 tsp garlic powder
2 tsp sage
Salt and pepper to taste
1 1/2 cups Chardonnay
2 cooked chicken breasts torn into pieces

Cook until veggies and in broth to thaw, add herbs then put into food processor (no need to clean in between dumplings and puree) puree until well blended. Put back in pot. Add the Chardonnay Bring to boil.

Add the dumplings one at a time and stir gently as you add them. Add the last of the flour from the plate.
Gently boil for 20 minutes then add chicken.
Cook a couple more minutes then serve.

No comments: