Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Done - My Sister Kathy's White Rolls

Published with Blogger-droid v1.7.4

My sister's roll were always perfectly formed and exactly the same size - but I gotta say they tasted just like hers - yum!


1 envelope yeast
1 Tbs sugar
1/2 cup warm water

Combine above ingredients and let it sit for 10 minutes

1 beaten egg
1/2 cup melted shortening (I used butter)
2 cups lukewarm water
1 1/2 tsp salt (I used 3/4 tsp)
1/2 cup sugar
8 cups white flour

Mix all ingredients except flour, add half flour and beat until snooth for about a minute. Add the rest of the flour a bit at a time until the dough leaves the sides of the bowl. Let dough sit 10 minutes to rest. Knead 10 minutes. Place in greased bowl, cover with a warm wet towel that has been wrung out until double in size. Knead a few times and let it rest 10 minutes.

Pull it into half - pull each half into half - each makes 6 rolls for a total of 24 rolls. Shape and put into pan to rise. Bake at 350 - 20 minutes or until browned and a roll sounds hollow when thumped.

I also put a cookie sheet on the bottom rack of the oven while it preheats. Then I pour a glass of cold water into it when I put the rolls in the oven on the top rack to bake.

No comments: