Thursday, January 13, 2011

White House Correspondence

The last time I sent a letter to the White House I was 11 years old and I wanted to tell Mrs. Kennedy how sad I was that President Kennedy died.

Last night I sent another letter by email to tell President Obama how proud I was to be an American when he spoke of how we must honor those people slain and injured in Arizona last weekend by treating each other with respect. He said we must live up to newly elected student council representative nine year old Christina Taylor's emerging political dreams when she died as she went to a supermarket to see Rep. Gabrielle Giffords meeting with her constituents. He said "I want our democracy to be as good as she imagined it."

He also said "We may not be able to stop all the evil in the world; but I know how we treat one another is entirely up to us."

I want to believe all of us were touched by these words last evening no matter where we stand politically.

No comments: