Friday, April 2, 2010

An Amazing Trip to the Museum



My cousin, Mary Lynn, wanted to know if I would like to go to the Castle Museum with her to donate our Great Grandmother's quilt. I was very happy to go with her. We met with Sandy who started to take down information. She told us that our Great Grandfather's harp was now on exhibit.

I ALMOST STARTED TO CRY! I had never seen the harp! So she told us we could go upstairs to see the exhibit when we were ready to go. Then she took down information about Mary Lynn and asked me to give her my information also. I laughed and told her I had four names. I started out: Mary Ellen Shea C... and she said, "Shea? - wait a minute - did you know Elinor?" I told her that Elinor was my Mom. I laughed and asked her "Did you love her?" That may be a funny question to a stranger - but I cannot tell you how many people really did love my Mom! She broke into a huge smile and nodded her head and told me that my Mom and my Mom's friend Kay were her first volunteers that she worked with at the museum 18 years ago. She said she still sometimes will go into a room and think that it needs the "Elinor Touch!"

So then it was time to go up to the harp. It was placed in a living room. And we could just picture Great Grandma's quilt going on the sofa next to it. Mary Lynn and I had such a nice visit there - I can't wait to go see the quilt with the harp!

2 comments:

Jane said...

Oh. My. Gosh. That is absolutely beautiful! And to think he carried it on his back!! Thanks,mesc!

Gaby said...

What a beautiful story. Loved reading it. The harp is beautiful.