Monday, September 7, 2009

Spreadsheets

Let’s see – what do I like most about work? MMMMmmm….. Excel and COGNOS – I love working in both those software programs. If it is mathematical – you can do it in excel. Many times those same formulas work in COGNOS and if they do not – you can save the COGNOS file into an Excel file – HEAVEN – for a spreadsheet geek.

When I first started working with a computer in 1984 when I bought an apple computer from my brother, Larry, I couldn’t believe how this person who switched to “new math” in 5th grade so lost out on learning so many basic concepts could now do sums and percentages and decimal points to her heart’s content with ease. I loved Quickfile and started doing budget work and financial statements and actually enjoyed doing them.

Then when I started working at the city in 1986 my mentor, Jan, taught me Lotus 123 the precursor to excel. Now I began working on complex spreadsheets that required lots of thought and preparation (like projecting how many people would have to go to the proposed water park in order to come out even – which by the way we never could have possibly had that many people come to the now defunct water park – so it was doomed from the start!)

Then when I went to the Civic Center I worked with a Lotus 123 whiz of an accountant, Sudah – when she left to move to California I had to use her spreadsheets. That is when I learned how to write macros. It was amazing. I relied heavily on the controller, Dave, to help me understand the budget work that I had to prepare for the Board of Directors. The City has always been a place to learn on the job – you can do as much or as little as you want depending on the job you have – I have always been busy at work because I offer to help others with their work when I get caught up with my work. I have learned many things this way and the day goes by much faster if you actually work!

When I came to work at the Police Department we then got Excel – I started doing overtime reports and budget work but it was easier. I love “if” statements – they make me smile. Now with Office 2007 writing macros is a breeze. And I know I’ve stated before that the Internet is the best thing that ever happened to someone writing spreadsheets. Just typing in what you want to do in a search engine will bring you lots of ideas on how to do what you need to do. Conditional formatting is fun and interesting in a spreadsheet. I love using conditional formatting in almost every spreadsheet I write.

I’ve decided not to write anymore spreadsheets in COGNOS for anyone that has a COGNOS license on their computer at work. I’ll help them write it – working one on one with them while they write the filters and insert calculations – but doing the report for them is no help to them at all. When I finally get to retire in 2012 – they will have to know how to write a COGNOS report without any help so I figure they should be able to do that when I leave by starting to help them to learn now.
This is what I will miss most when I retire – the chance to figure out the puzzle part of a spreadsheet – working to make the spreadsheet concise and easy to use.

1 comment:

Jim Shea said...

Gee little sister!
You can always come over and help me with my St. John Vianney minister schedule spread sheets.

I wouldn't want you to be lonesome for work!

Jim