Wednesday, March 12, 2008

Family

We are busy planning Caroline’s wedding. So many preparations are already done – Caroline is very organized. I’ve been thinking about how our family is growing by leaps and bounds. When Caroline and Jesse marry, that will bring two more grandchildren and a GREAT grandchild into our family. We are so blessed to have them joining our family.

I remember Bill talking at my Mom’s funeral. He said that when Jim married his mother and he found out he would have another Grandmother he first thought was, “I don’t need another Grandma!” Well, he also said, he was wrong he did need Grandma Shea.

My Mom made sure that Mary Lynn and her family became integrated into our family when Aunt Irene and Uncle Cecil died. Mary Lynn is more a sister than a cousin in our family.

I’ve watched my sister-in-law, Cindy pull together our blended families in such a wonderful way. She makes entertaining 30 people at a time look easy for holidays. Sometimes it’s her family, our family, her first husband’s family, all breaking bread together as one big family. She is amazing.

Mary and Bruce adopted Lillie and Anna and whether we are visiting them at the beach, on the basketball court, or First Eucharist celebrations, they have helped us connect to their family.

I’ve learned we cannot have enough people in our families. Each person is so different. Each branch of our family brings new traditions and new ideas to embrace. Whether we are discussing religion, politics or food – we have different views and opinions. But one thing we all have in common is our love and respect for each other.

I am looking forward to Jesse and Caroline’s wedding where all of us can be together.

1 comment:

Jane said...

sigh. I LOVE families. What a wonderful idea God had.