Wednesday, April 25, 2018

Full Circle

Today I had such a great moment in culinary memories. I love cooking shows and thankfully, Pat does too. We started watching Julia Child on PBS in the early 80's. On Friday nights after the kids went to bed we would sit next to each other on the sofa and soak in the cooking. The joy of learning different techniques from Julia was magical for me.

In 1997 I was still watching Julia in "Baking with Julia," but now she had guests on the show. Nancy Silverton was the guest and this was what was reported by the Los Angeles Times:

"Silverton, who appeared in "In Julia's Kitchen With Master Chefs" and "Baking With Julia," remembers one particular taping including a moment of sheer terror, followed immediately by total bliss.
"Before the show, Julia took me aside and explained that she was not big on editing and that when I needed to wrap up my segment, she would tap me on my hip with her hand.
"Well, I am making this brioche tart with stone fruits and a hot wine syrup. I'm sauteing the fruits and putting the tart together when I get the tap. So, I quickly finish it off and cut a forkful and hand it to Julia who tastes it. There is silence.
"Then I see tears in her eyes and then she starts crying. I am thinking 'Oh my, I've burned Julia Child.' But, then Julia says, 'That is the most delicious dessert I have ever had.' "

When I saw that episode I cried too. I couldn't imagine being that baker. It has always been my favorite show.

Today I was watching my new favorite cooking show on Netflix, Chef's Table. Half way through, it shows the featured baker as a young woman on "Baking with Julia." It was my favorite episode! It was Nancy Silverton!

This made me inordinately happy this morning. 

No comments: