Tuesday, August 6, 2013

Scam Alert

My father-in-law called to say he scratched off the spots on a Burt Watson advertising mailer and they matched. He thought he might have won $25,000!

Pat was on the phone with him and was relaying the information to me. I told him to ask exactly what the wording was on the mailer - did it say "could win?"

Well yes, but he matched! I told him I would call Burt Watson. I was so angry I could have spit nails. This was exactly what happened to Aunt Bernice that last year she was alive. She had the dining room table filled with snacks because she was sure Publishers Clearing House was coming that night to give her a $1,000,000 check because the letter said two people in Saginaw "may have won!"

I called Burt Watson and surprise, surprise I was transferred to a salesman. I said, "My 92 year old father-in-law thinks he won $25,000 - I suppose he has to come in to see a salesperson?" He just said, "Yes."

Of course - many people, if not all, match. What a terrible way to try to get people to come in for a sales pitch.

No comments: