Thursday, July 4, 2013

Sand Lake

Ok - party at Sand Lake! What should I bring? Ma's molasses cookies of course!

I just baked these for the first time. Fran, Ma's great granddaughter, gave me the recipe to use in the series I am working on - the Four Season Series.

When I was little I used to love watching a woman I cherished in her 90's make these cookies. I could barely wait for them to come out of the oven and cool enough to eat. That is how I feel right now!

I am taking my first bite - oh my goodness - not too sweet - just right - the jelly on top is essential. (Fran said to use grape jelly. ) The cloves and cinnamon and ginger and nutmeg are in perfect proportions!

I just went back in time.


Molasses Cookies
1 Cup Crisco
1 Cup Sugar
1 Cup Molasses
1 tsp Soda
2 tsp Ginger
2 tsp Cinnamon
1/2 tsp Cloves
1/4 tsp Nutmeg
1 tsp Salt
6 Cups Flour
1 Cup Buttermilk

Cream Crisco and sugar, add molasses.  Sift flour 3 cups of flour with other dry ingredients.  Alternate dry ingredients with buttermilk.  Add the remaining flour and mix just until all ingredients are mixed.  Divide into equal parts.  Roll 1/4 inch thick.  Cut out with three inch cookie cutter.  Place on greased cookie sheet with a standard measuring spoon press a dent in center of each cookie (use back of spoon).  Place 1/4 tsp raspberry or strawberry (Fran says to use grape!) in dent.  Sprinkle cookies with sugar.  Bake 9 minutes at 375 degrees.  Do not overbake. 

 

No comments: