Wednesday, March 13, 2013

Inspiration

I sent a message to a friend about inspiration. That got me thinking - what inspires me? I have found that being open to inspiration is the real key to being inspired. Asking the Holy Spirit and of course my favorite Saint Anthony to help me find inspiration - another key.

Some of my favorite inspirations have been for decorating at church. One time standing at the ambo looking over to where the Christmas trees were going to stand I imagined the cross being among them. The cross that the committee made out of a huge Christmas tree inspired by a homily by Bishop Ken about the Christmas tree becoming the cross. I was very moved to see that cross among the trees that Christmas.

Another time we went to Midland Center for the Arts after the Saginaw News ran an article about the light show by Stephen Knapp. It was awesome. We were all inspired to make it happen. And we did. It was a beautiful Easter backdrop for the cross.

Noreen, a member of our committee, said every time she sees a telephone pole where garage sale signs have been she thinks of Lent! The nails left behind a reminder of Jesus on the cross. Even though we never followed through on that inspiration I must say that I never go past a corner where I see nails that I don't think of it.

Of course last year when we made the thread art following the inspiration of Gabriel Dawe was another favorite of mine.

Holy Spirit, bring inspiration to people seeking it. Give inspiration even when they are not looking for it. Keep giving us chances to stop to see the beauty God has given us in this world. Help us to appreciate it, use it, and inspire others. Amen.

No comments: