Thursday, January 31, 2013

In Memory of Mr. Novak

Mr. Richard Novak was in my life in many ways. The first time I saw him was in 5th grade. He was walking his daughter, Cindy, into our school for her first day after just moving to Saginaw. I may have only been eleven, but I knew he was distinguished and I thought he looked like a movie star. So for awhile he was just Cindy's dad.

Then they moved to Warren Street just a block away. He then was a neighbor to me. Also at this time for me he was Mrs. Novak's husband. For most of my life if I saw one the other was there, too.

Then he was my Mom's lawyer. She was confident he was the best and never worried about her legal issues. So for much of my life he was a lawyer.

After I was married I remember my Mom telling me that she had told a couple of his sons how lucky they were to have such wonderful parents. She respected and admired them.

After my Mom died he was the lawyer for my Aunts Dorothy and Bernice. He gave us invaluable advice. Both he and his lovely wife would take phone calls from Aunt Bernice when she worried so much. He made sure everything was in order and helped us through a very difficult time.

When a Diocesan event was at the Cathedral they both would be there. It was such a joy to see such a devoted couple. I was always so pleased to see them. They both were always so gracious and interested in my life. I thought of them as friends.

My heart goes out to the Novak family. May your hearts be filled with love and good memories. I know mine is, too.

No comments: