Sunday, July 3, 2011

What It has meant to ME to Live in Saginaw, Michigan, USA

Growing up in Saginaw had so many different levels of pride. Here are some of what it has meant to me:

My Family
The first sense of pride came from my family. We always put a flag out on every holiday and we went to pick up Grandma Shea holding her tomato box filled with gardening tools to go to the cemetery on a regular basis to clean up the grave of Grandpa Shea.

(UPDATE NOTE: I GOT A TEXT FROM JOANNA THIS EVENING THAT HER CHILDREN MADE HER CRY A FEW MINUTES AGO - THE KIDS WERE CLEANING OFF MARKERS AT THE NATIONAL VA CEMETERY - THIS IS EXACTLY WHAT I MEAN ABOUT RESPECT AND PRIDE IN OUR MILITARY AND OUR COUNTRY - I AM SO PROUD OF THEM ALL.)

This trip to the cemetery always meant taking saltine crackers to feed the goldfish and a chance to climb the HUGE rock by the pond. Tradition was started and continued for years and years. We went to church and school at our neighborhood parish, St. Mary Cathedral - right on Hoyt Street. My parents were involved in the community, the parish, the neighborhood. Many times over the years we said our novena's after dinner - Mom would write the words on the big chalkboard on the kitchen wall and we would all say the prayers together. And every single year - going to the fireworks - back then they were at Hoyt Park - we always thought it was the best night of the year. How I loved the big booms making me jump each time.

Our Neighborhood
We had 42 kids in our neighborhood - we played army, house, said Mass with squished white bread, had parades with our bikes up and down Hoyt Street - red, white and blue crepe paper threaded through the spokes of our bikes. We had Kool-Aid sales on the little stand my Dad made for us out of crates, probably from Saginaw Paint Manufacturing where he worked. Every mother and father in the neighborhood was respected and obeyed. We quickly learned which kid could get what the whole group wanted - usually me - especially if it was Mr. Shaltry - I could usually sweet talk him into letting us all go to Andersen Pool. Not because I was anything special - just that I was the only one who would actually go down the basement where he was making little wood decorations and ask him! Going to Emerson school for Saginaw Parks and Recreation - there was always something cool to do - making key chains out of long plastic strips, being in a talent show where my sister, Jane and I sang, "There's a hole in the bucket dear Liza, dear Liza!", playing tether ball, singing songs, doing crafts. As we got older we even got to go to Camp Timbers where we had lots of fun. Many mornings we went to the aforementioned Andersen Pool - my friend Janet and I would walk the couple of miles to be there by 9 am - the free swim - I think they used us to warm the pool up because it was freezing.

My School
St. Mary Cathedral where I learned my father's middle name was Francis - and my Mom explained that even though my friend's name was Frances the spelling told us if it was a girl's name or a boy's name. I couldn't remember which was which until she told me to remember his and her - the last two letters of the pronoun showed which one was which. Going through the same school with the same friends - and my friend Noreen even went to Kindergarten at Emerson School with me because St. Mary's had no Kindergarten. I had such pride in my school - I learned social justice in Humanities in 10th grade - I learned civic pride in Sr. Marie Ida's 8th grade. I learned how important one voice could be - whether it was religion, politics or just plain living each day the best I could.

My Workplace
My first job other than babysitting was working at the Post Office. They had students come in and work at night for up to 16 hours a week. We learned how to come in on time, work with a team, make good use of our time and to manage our paychecks. It was the first time I worked with adults - and they taught me so much. Later when I began working for the City of Saginaw - I began to understand how much it takes to have a government work. And how easily it can fall apart. It made me realize that one voice can make a difference - however - it takes many voices to make the changes needed. The voters - people have to care.

My Family
Yes, family again - but this time it was Pat and my time to be the parents. To instill the pride and religious values - work ethics and manners, too. I like to think we did a good job with parenting. I do know we did our best. I like watching our grandchildren and great grandchildren - seeing how their parents are doing - I think they are doing a great job.

I love living in Saginaw - will I stay here forever - probably not - we will probably move to the country at some point - Pat has lived in the City all this time even though he would rather have lived in the country - we'll see when housing starts to rebound.

I love being a United States citizen - it is not something I take as a right - it is something to be cherished. I disagree with lots that happens in our country - in our politics - - in the media - in our neighborhoods - but I wouldn't want to live anywhere else. I am proud to be a citizen - I am blessed to be in the USA.

I notice I have rambled as usual - off the subject - around the subject - but that is ME - going on and on and just saying what is rambling around in my head. Happy birthday USA.

No comments: