Sunday, May 8, 2011

Moms I Know and Love

There are so many moms in our lives. Of course my own Mom is first on the list. She taught me how wonderful being at home with your children is - every single day she was there when I came home from school. I never ever remember her not being there my first years in grade school. I loved coming home after school. My Mom didn't drive, it was a different time, a slower pace, a wonderful time. Then she went to work outside of the home and I learned you could go to work and still love your children. She was there every evening to listen about our day. Becoming a mom in the 70's I wanted to stay home with my babies and in the midst of so many women working outside of their homes, because of my life experiences, I felt comfortable making the decision to stay home for the first several years of their lives.

Then there were the neighborhood moms, women who watched over us and helped form our lives. It didn't matter what house you were at all these mothers were "stay at home" moms. I can't help but feel sadness that this support system is no longer available to most children.

Then I married Patrick and I inherited a Mother-in-Law. I have come to love and care about her. I am very thankful that she raised my husband to be the most caring and loving husband.

Then my friends became mothers and I began working with women who were mothers. It always was a learning experience watching how other mothers mother. Having Julie and Sarah during their first years living next to us was a joy. They gave me the chance to be a "neighborhood mom!" I loved having them play outside next door and spent many good times watching them grow up.

We were in our parish school principal's office when her daughter called to say she didn't want to stay at her new college. As she lovingly told her daughter that she had to stay at school and that she would call her back after she got home I realized saying no hurt very much but that was an important part of parenting.

Then watching my friends parent was so helpful. Many of those moms were going through the same things as our family and it helped us to watch others solve problems. There is something so comforting about watching others mother. It is fun to watch your friends when their children succeed in even the smallest ways and it is important to be there when your friends have to go through difficult times as well.

Then watching my children become such wonderful mothers is a gift in life. Both Joanna and Caroline are the best mothers and I couldn't be a prouder mother. I love being a mother - it has been such a wonderful part of my life. There has been laughter, tears, trips, camping, baking, cooking, laying on the couch together, watching them swimming, playing ball, dating, driving, going to school, getting married, becoming mothers, just going through life with my children has been such an important part of my life. Blessings. There are so many.

No comments: