Friday, October 15, 2010

New Delhi!

This is what I love about the Internet – I wanted to see how to use a wildcard with an if statement in Excel. I typed in the Google search:

wildcard if statement excel

The very first listing gave me the answer from someone in New Delhi. I love finding the answers so easily – right at my fingertips. This is what I will miss when I retire – finding solutions to spreadsheets!

1. Wildcard in an If statement - MrExcel Message Board
Wildcard in an If statement Excel Questions. ... work around using the left function - but still think the if statement should have worked. ...

http://www.mrexcel.com/forum/showthread.php?t=26915


Search and Find in an if statement

Results
Find Search
Big ___________________ OK OK
RED ___________________ No OK
red ___________________ No OK
Next___________________ OK OK
next___________________ No OK
big ___________________ No OK

=IF(OR(ISNUMBER(SEARCH({"Nex","Big","Red"},B132))),"OK","No")
=IF(OR(ISNUMBER(FIND({"Nex","Big","Red"},C133))),"OK","No")

so if I want to find something exactly as it is typed I'll use find - if I want to find something that is not case sensitive I'll use search. AMAZING!