Monday, May 4, 2009

Dad - and Pat

Looking back 45 years today, May 4, 1964, the day my Dad died makes me realize how blessed I am to be married to such a wonderful man. I was 12 when my Dad died – I wonder if he was like Pat and that is why I married him. I only knew the Dad part of the equation because I wasn’t old enough to understand marriage commitments and I never asked my Mom. But as I remember the times he read to me on the couch, the times he took us for a root beer at A&W, an ice cream cone at Mooney’s, Swimming at Andersen Pool, going to church with him – sitting in the front pew as he sang at church – I think maybe I did pick someone like my Dad.

I really didn’t want to get married – I even forgot to pick up my wedding dress until my Mom reminded me that the store was closing in a half hour and if I expected to get married that night I may want to pick up the dress! When I saw Pat and his parents preparing to go down the aisle I almost fainted. I had never dated anyone as long as I dated Pat and we had only been dating eight months and here we were getting married.

The first couple of years, we spent a lot of time with good friends and family either playing cards or just visiting. Lots of Sunday dinners at his parents and lots of rides into Saginaw to visit my family. I had a difficult time moving to Midland – every phone call was long distance and of course back then that meant extra money for those phone calls. My friends and family were in Saginaw and I felt very isolated. However, it did help us become closer much quicker because Pat and I had to depend on each other for everything.

We discovered over the years that we loved the same things. Camping, going for a nice ride in the country – or even better in Northern Michigan, watching birds, being near water (whether a river or a lake) and the best – watching a sunrise on Lake Huron or a sunset on Lake Superior.

Pat has always been so easy going. He likes what I cook and even cleans up as I cook. He enjoys spending time with me and he has loved me more than anyone else has ever loved me. It is amazing to me and it took many years to believe that he would always love me – no matter what.

He has been the most wonderful Father to our children. The kids literally walked all over him – he would lie on the floor and they would jump on his stomach! It was fun to watch. He read to them every evening before they went to bed. He prayed with them before they fell asleep. He encouraged and loved them so much that I believe they married the men they did because they wanted someone like their Dad.
This time together since our daughters have moved away has been a wonderful time, too. Pat has retired and so he makes sure that our weekends are a haven for me. He gets the household chores done during the week so we can take off for some of those long rides.

Since I started wrapping spoons with glass beads he has been most supportive of my endeavor. Many of our long rides have included estate sales, garage sales, antique stores, Goodwill, Salvation Army, St. Vincent de Paul and any thrift or consignment shop in between. He has moved a thousand dishes and knives, storage units purchased at store closings, taken me to set up at shows and he always has a good attitude through it all. I wouldn’t be doing this without him.

When I get up in the morning to go to work, Pat gets up with me. He makes my coffee – he walks me out to my car and when I get home he is usually waiting for me. I am counting the days until I retire so I can be with him all day long. One of my co-workers told me once that I should not be spending all of my time with Patrick. I should have a life of my own in case I have to be alone someday. That was very sad advice from a person who was all alone in life. I never want to be without Patrick – I even made him promise I could die first! But if he were to die before me – I never ever would be sad that I had spent every day wanting to be with him. This has been the most wonderful life. I always tell Pat, “We live a good life!” and he ALWAYS answers, “Yes…… we do!”

2 comments:

KatzMom said...

Ok Aunt ME, no need to make your niece blubber like a complete baby at her desk infront of all of her co-workers (all of whom are men by the way, who roll their eyes at yet another outburst from the woman in the room!). I hope that Everett and my relationship is even half of what you have with Uncle Pat! Love and Hugs Ellie:)

Jane said...

It sounds like Ellie is as inspired as the nieces and nephews on the other side of the family!! Beautiful post, mesc, to describe a beautiful relationship. Love you!