Thursday, February 19, 2009

Connie

After a divorce many years ago in the family the term sister-in-law doesn't apply anymore. But Aunt does and Mother of our nieces does. And friend always applied. Connie died this week after a long illness. I have lots of good memories of her.

When Pat and I first started dating I was overwhelmed with a new family to get to know. But Connie immediately became a friend. Our children are a few years apart - enough to have her go through all the stages of motherhood just before I did - it was very comforting to have her give me such good advice over the years.

One time, she was at our house for a party and Joanna was about 4, she thought she could go home with Aunt Connie, well, her bag was packed and waiting by the door. She was crushed when she realized she had to stay with boring Mom and Dad.

Our nieces are loving and compassionate women. Certainly some of the reason for that is because of their mother. We will miss her.

No comments: