Thursday, January 8, 2009

Visiting

We had Joanna, Robin, Sheala and Robbie over for dinner the other night. Pat picked up Robbie after basketball practice so he got here first. He is such a great help in the kitchen. And - a Pfalzgraft outlet went out of business and we bought a new set of Cuisinart knives - oh my goodness - I have never had such good knives in my kitchen. So I warned Robbie to be very careful. When he used one for his salami - he said "Oh my goodness it cuts right through the salami!" - I told him, "You are right that is exactly how it would cut through your finger!"

He then helped Papa make a great salad for dinner. I shouldn't ever worry because he has been helping in the kitchen since he was just a toddler and he loves to cut up veggies - of course - more goes in his mouth than in the bowl but that is how I got his mother to eat her veggies when she was little, too. I made some mashed potatoes and took the roast out of the slow cooker. I still have to thank my friend Cathy for teaching me the secret for making the most tender meat in the slow cooker - just add one package of dry onion soup - it works every time with 12 hours cooking.

Then Joanna came in from work and we enjoyed some "couch" time. I love it when I get to cuddle with my daughters or grandchildren on the couch. We watched Robbie on the Wii fit - and we laughed the whole time. He likes to sit on it, stand on it, twist on it - always trying some different position to see if he can get the top score - and of course he does in many areas. But it is nice that Nana gets to be top Penguin fish catcher and super hula hoop twister.

Then Jesse called to say hi and Caroline got on to say hi - they both were working and it was an extremely slow night at the restaurant so they were watching TV. We figured they could all come for dinner on Saturday - so that will be a nice visit.

Then Robin and Sheala came in and we had a great dinner - everyone laughing and recounting their days at work and school. Sheala had to jump up to show us her splits at one point - and Robin had to tease her about never getting to drive because she couldn't possibly already be 15 next month. And Sheala teasing him about how he learned to drive from his Mom and then had to learn all over. Telling stories on Jesse about when he saw a police officer at the corner and so he used his blinker and both Sheala and Robbie looked around to see why because that so seldom happens.

Then after dishes and a few more minutes in the living room they all went home. These nights are what such great memories are made of - I love it.

No comments: