Sunday, January 20, 2008

Dinner at Vince and Olympia's

It was so nice to see so many of our friends. We had such a good time catching up with everyone. Jean Marie was so nice to give us all a few photos from one of our past visits when Kevin and Laurie were home. Everyone looked so good and healthy. What a blessing to have this group of people in our lives. I told someone I would put my recipe for rolls on the blog - here it is:

This takes about three hours.
2 Packages active dry yeast
1/4 cup granluated sugar
1 cup warm milk
4 to 4 1/2 cups flour (I have made this with all white, 1/2 white and wheat and all wheat - my favorite is 3 cups white to 1 cup wheat.)
1/4 tsp salt
6 Tbs butter, softened
2 large eggs

Glaze
1 egg
2 tsp water

In a large bowl, dissolve yeast and 1 tsp of sugar in warm milk. Let stand until foamy, 5 - 10 minutes. Mix together salt and flour. Beat butter and remaining sugar into yeast mixture - add eggs one at a time. I use the dough hook on my Kitchenaid for about four minutes. Then knead on floured surface 5 - 10 minutes until smooth and elastic. Place dough in large greased bowl, cover loosely with a damp cloth and let rise for one and a half hours. Punch down dough - shape into rolls - let rise a half hour. Brush on egg glaze mixture. Bake in preheated oven at 425 degrees for 6-8 minutes.

3 comments:

T said...

Oooh you have a Kitchenaid? What color?

mesc said...

T - it is plain old white - AND - it is the second one I owned - I don't even want to think of being without it. Uncle Pat even took out my dishwasher and put in a shelf that lifts out of the cupboard with my kitchenaid on it! I LOVE IT!

T said...

Sigh. I LOVE Kitchenaids, they are so useful. I used one when I was in Costa Rica for mixing bread dough.

I will get a Kitchenaid - (black or light green) one of these days. Perhaps when my kitchen is a little larger than the size of a shoe box!