Sunday, December 2, 2007

Such Good Friends and Family

So many friends and family came to the open house at the Grandy Farm yesterday while I was working - thank you so much for your support. I sold so many items - I can't wait until tonight when I find out how I actually did. This was just the jump start my bead business needed - whew - I can finally tell Pat I can pay for some of those beads! You are amazing my friends and family - thank you.

Someone asked me to write about how I got into this - so I told her I would blog it. My brother and sister-in-law, Jim and Cindy, and Pat and I were going to a Great Lakes Loons game in Midland. We went to dinner downtown and still had time before the game so we went shopping. We stopped at the Northwood Gallery and I saw these beautiful beaded spoons. I called Cindy over and told her I was going to make her one of those spoons but I wanted her to see how much the present was going to be worth when I made it! It was very expensive.

The next day Pat and I went to an estate sale and there was a box of serving pieces half off - all for $10.00 - we went to JoAnne's Ect. and the beads were 40% off - then I came home and started wrapping - I was so excited that the spoons were tranformed into pieces of art. We took it right over to Cindy!

Then I bought a couple of new serving pieces for a wedding gift - wrapped them and then took them to a couple of stores to match some bowls to go with them. Every sales person liked them but I couldn't find the right gift. Then we went back to the Northwood Gallery - I took them in and the manager asked me if I would like to sell my serving pieces there. I said - "sure" then I went home terrified - for goodness sake I only had wrapped a few sets - here I was saying yes to an art gallery. I quickly ordered serving sets off the Internet and began wrapping. My business "First Serving" was born.

After I took 50 pieces to the Northwood Gallery I had lots of beads left over - so I started going to estate sales and started wrapping gently used pieces all the time. If I couldn't sleep - 2 am - wrapping beads - came home from work - happy - couldn't wait to wrap beads. Each piece is distinctly different - I love doing it.

Pretty soon - I had so many spoons I didn't know what to do with them. So I stopped at the Antique Warehouse to ask if I could rent a shelf. Jean and Pat liked them - and they said I could be in the small section that isn't just antiques. My business "Second Serving" was born.

It is so much fun - it nourishes my artistic part of my soul - I really love making so many pieces that are so beautiful. So anyway - thank you so much my friends and family for coming to the open house - it was so nice to see you. And if you didn't get there yesterday - Today is the last day - I won't be there but I think you will still love going to see all the great gift ideas. ME

No comments: